“Everyone visualizes whether he knows it or not. Visualizing is the great secret of success.”
Visualization is simply the practice of creating pictures in our minds. As I wrote in my last post, if you are not as happy as you can be, one of the reasons is because the images in your mind that keep playing over and over again are negative. So visualization is basically a tool we can use to replace those negative images with better ones.
You can read that post here: How 5 Minutes of Visualization a Day Can Make You Happier.
There are plenty of ways you can visualize. Since I’ve been studying visualization for the past several years, I’ve come up with five categories. I’ve also created my own unique visualizations that are fun and enlightening that I’ll share with you in other posts. You can also find them in my book, Simply Being Happy.
Here are the categories of visualization:
1. Basic: This is when you are visualizing in the first person and in the now. When you close your eyes, you imagine you are no longer in the room, but on a beach or in your dream home, for example. This is what athletes do when they are mentally rehearsing. And this is the one that’s used regularly to feel yourself in your goals.
2. Movie: This is the visualization that is used to see yourself in your goals. When you are imagining that you are watching a scene play out and you are the main character. Many people picture a huge movie screen right in front of them. You can get creative and start out with this visualization, as if you are watching a movie of yourself; then imagine yourself jumping into the scene. You have now switched to basic visualization, where you are actually “there.”
3. Awareness: This is basically excavating your subconscious mind for answers. Self-awareness is so powerful. It’s getting to know who you are. It’s digging for the reasons why you think and do the things you do. And it’s the starting point to any change you want to make in your life.
The simplest visualization for awareness is to just get still and quiet, ask yourself a question and wait and see what comes up from your subconscious mind. What images, memories and feelings come up from your past, for example? I talk more about this type of visualization in my book.
4. Clearing: This is when you are imagining certain negative traits, beliefs, feelings, etc. being cleared out of your subconscious mind and out of the cells of your body. This is based on the fact that we are all energy. Everything is energy. This energy is at the very core of our cells. So with clearing visualizations, you imagine the energy of a negative quality leaving your body.
Once you imagine being free of a negative quality, you then visualize and feel yourself as that ‘new’ person. Visualize yourself in different scenes. How would you act? What would you say? How would you feel?
If you would like to think of this in terms of God or the Holy Spirit, here is a beautiful Bible verse:
“That according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being.”
5. Installing: This is when you are imagining certain positives being installed that are replacing the negatives—basically the reverse of clearing. Qualities like confidence, kindness, strength, etc. are great for this visualization.
There are actually no rules when it comes to visualization.
Just like I don’t believe there are any strict rules to meditation, it’s the same with visualization. Do what feels right to you. And remember, like anything, with practice – you’ll get better.
To get started, just get quiet, relax, close your eyes and start visualizing. In my next post, I’ll talk about all the details.
Want the FREE 370 page E-book of my book: Simply Being Happy? Get it here.
Do you have any comments or questions? Feel free to write them in the comments below: